- Got an idea for a story? Write more than one opening paragraph – it takes the pressure off having to get it perfect. Keep writing openings until you feel the inspiration kick in. This can sometimes take me a while.
- Don’t edit your beginning until you’ve completed the story. It’s very easy to focus so much on perfecting an opening paragraph that you never get to the end.
- Don’t end the section you’re writing at the end of a scene break. Stop mid scene, mid paragraph or even mid sentence if you’ve got a good memory! It’s much easier to pick it up again.
- We tend to spend much less time on the end of a story. The right ending can take time. Write more than one closing paragraph. Then leave the story a week or so before coming back and seeing which one feels right.
- When you have a complete first draft. Leave the story another week before you do your final edits. A student I once taught likened it to putting your story in the ‘naughty cupboard’. When you go back to them they will tell you everything they did wrong. This is so true. Mistakes will leap out after a gap of time that it’s impossible to see when you’re close to your work.
Della Galton Writing Courses
Friday Class (Kinson Community Centre, Bournemouth) 10.00 am-12.00 midday.
Writing for the Terrified. Weekly classes ongoing. Starts again September 15th. Six week term. £48.00. Beginners and experienced writers welcome
Please email Della via this website.
Saturday 11 November. Writing the novel. The Next Step. (Bournemouth) 10.00 am till 4.00 pm.
Please email Della via this website
Meet The Reading Group. FREE SHORT STORY!
Novella One of The Reading Group Series
- Book Deals (3)
- competitions (10)
- Daily Della (9)
- Dear Della (7)
- Endings (2)
- first chapter (8)
- Flash Fiction (2)
- Genre (1)
- Guest Posts (19)
- How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim (6)
- Ice and a Slice (10)
- ideas (21)
- Inspiration (33)
- Me on the radio – eek! (4)
- NaNoWriMo (6)
- News (49)
- Nothing to do with writing! (6)
- PR for writers (1)
- Questions from Dear Della (9)
- Retreat (8)
- selling your book (7)
- Settings (1)
- Short stories for magazines (20)
- social media (4)
- The Dog with Nine Lives (1)
- The Reading Group (6)
- Tips on writing (41)
- Woman's Weekly (6)
- Writing (111)
- Writing conferences & schools (13)
- Writing exercises (3)
- Writing problems and solutions (6)
- Writing Ramblings (1)